Monday, February 23, 2009

Some Musical Recommendations

I like music. I like playing it. I like listening to it. I like talking about it. And one of my favorite hobbies, when I have the time to do so, is to look for bands that are either new or ones that not many people know about. And once I find a band or an artist that I really like, I tend to recommend it to as many people as I can. After all, good music should spread and should be heard by everyone. And in the past several years, my musical tastes have broadened way further than I ever thought they would (though I don't see country music making it onto my Ipod anytime in the near future!). I also go through these really wierd cycles where I'll be listening to some heavy hardcore music one day, like a Norma Jean or an Oh Sleeper, and then the next day I'll be listening to some laid back acoustic stuff like Jack Johnson or Tyler Burkum. The amazing thing about music is that it's one of the few things that everyone, whether they're pissed off or happy, can relate to. There's always some band or some genre that you can resonate with, no matter what's going on in your life. And that's the beauty of music as a whole. And to be a musician is to be a person who is willing to allow people to get a glimpse of who you really are. No strings attached. This is who I am, like it or leave it. And this brings me to a huge pet-peeve of mine: mainstream "christian" music.
Don't get me wrong. I grew up listening to christian music. Audio Adrenaline and the Supertones were constantly in my cd player (or tape player, if you will!). But my whole issue with mainstream "christian" music these days is that it has become a way for christians to close themselves off from the world and not get "offended" by what they're listening to. And a huge by-product of this is an industry that continually puts out music that is: a.) only meant for christians, b.) always positive and happy go-lucky and c.) just flat out boring, bland, and uncreative.
I believe music is an amazing and beautiful way to spread a message. And, as a christian, I am always encouraged when I come across a band that is composed of christians that have a heart to take their music and the message of Jesus to places that need to hear it. To tour with bands that play mostly in bars. To create music that everyone can relate to, but at the same time, be encouraged by the message. That is why I have no patience with people, mostly the self-righteous ones, who say that only certain kinds of music can honor God or be used by Him. I love Chris Tomlin and David Crowder, but I have to be honest and say that I have more of a spiritual experience listening to bands like A Hope For Home or Haste the Day or even Demon Hunter. And I don't judge people who disagree with me on this subject. Everyone has their views. But I do believe that God is honored by musicians and bands that use their talents to reach out to those around them. It doesn't matter what kind of music they play. And it doesn't matter whether they hum, sing, or even, dare I say, SCREAM their message! God can, and will, use ALL music, not just the bands that are played on christian radio stations.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your comments!

and P.S. Here are some recommendations for some good music/bands to check out!

Red (especially their newest cd! so good!)
Beloved (just good ol' hardcore rock and roll!)
Tyler Burkum (good folk/acoustic)
A Hope For Home (my band has played with these guys. they're the real deal!)
Between the Trees
Number One Gun
Holyfield
Inhale/Exhale (for those who like to have their skull crushed)
Jason Reeves (great acoustic laid back stuff)
Tyrone Wells (hopefully you've heard of him already!)
Needtobreathe

Enjoy! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment