Monday, March 2, 2009

The City of Portland and the Value of Happiness and Contentment

One of my morning routines when I wake up (besides eating breakfast and taking a shower, of course) is to check my email. And normally, I always end up venturing on random websites dealing with current events/news. And this morning, I ventured onto Oregonlive.com and read an article talking about how a business magazine just gave the city of Portland the title of the "Unhappiest City" to live in. Obviously, this article got me thinking! The 3 main factors taken into account in the survey of the unhappiest cities are as follows: the average number of cloudy days throughout a years time, the unemployment rate, and the total amount of phone calls made to suicide hotlines, help services, etc. Those weren't the only factors, but they seemed to be the main ones. After reading this whole article, I felt like I should post a blog article listing reasons as to why I love the city of Portland, Oregon. So, here we go!

1.) Living in Portland makes you appreciate the little things. Things such as: Sunny days (when we get them!), green trees, and beautiful scenery everywhere you look.
2.) It has the big city feel without the big city annoyances
3.) Overall, Portlanders aren't jerks. Wierd, yes, but not jerks!
4.) No sales tax! (this goes for the entire state of Oregon!)
5.) The Portland Trail Blazers!
6.) It's a laid back city, which fits me perfectly, a really laid back person!
7.) The 2 months of Summer weather totally makes up for the 10 months of rain.
8.) I can wear a pair of jeans and a hooded sweatshirt pretty much all year round without someone thinking I'm crazy
9.) It's one of the few places I know of that a self-employed guitar instructor could get enough students to quit his morning job and do what he REALLY loves to do and make a living!
10.) It's a city where art and music are very much appreciated.

There are many more reasons, but those are some of the main ones. And even though my views on life and such are very different from the majority of people who live here, I can't imagine living anywhere else. For me to pack my bags and live somewhere other than Portland, Oregon, God would have to make it 100 percent clear that He has plans for me somewhere else! Anything less than that, and I will live here until the day I die! Just thought you should know.......

P.S. Make sure you check out the following music that you've never heard of!

Castle Heights
He is We

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment