Monday, May 10, 2010

Masculinity Gone Bad

I'm a guy. And to be honest, I'm proud to be a guy. And sometimes, I feel like this society tries to make guys apologize for being guys, which I think is ridiculous. And apologizing is something I will NEVER do for that reason. I don't owe ANYONE an apology because I'm a guy. I think this society is not willing to allow guys to be masculine, so it tries to tame masculinity. Make guys more emotional. Make them nicer. Preach manners to them. But no one is paying a higher price for taming masculinity than society as a whole. Our schools are suffering. Our government is suffering. And most of all, our families are suffering. Why? Because when we need men to step up during times of difficulty, we find that men don't know how to step up. All they know how to be is nice because that's all they're told to be. And I'm sorry, but niceness is overrated and it just doesn't cut it. And as far as I'm concerned, I'm through with being nice. I'm not saying that I don't believe in having compassion or sharing your emotions, but there's something wrong when that's the only things that guys know how to do. Society has stripped masculinity of what it was meant to be.
I want to be the guy who has no problem being competitive regardless of the reaction people may have. I want to be able to do what my heart is telling me to do and not feel like I have to apologize for it. I want to say what's on my heart and on my mind without worrying how people may feel. I want to have the courage to make a scene when I feel like it is necessary. I want to pursue my dreams without putting too much stock in the potential risks or dangers. I want to hold the notions of "being good" and "being true" higher than the notion of "being nice".

1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

2 comments:

  1. It's not being "nice" or "emotional" that is destroying everything. It's that society as a whole have become lazy and underachievers. People don't go wrong being nice. They go wrong because men don't like responsibility anymore and as a result everyone else is left picking up their slack.

    They are less men and more boys than there once were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would totally agree with you. I was making the argument that the whole emphasis on "niceness" has become synonymous with not offending anyone or standing up for what you believe. We're all too content with not making a scene rather than living out what our passions are. Plus, I would agree with your notion that men don't like responsibility anymore, but I believe that one of the biggest reasons for this is that society almost looks down upon men when they live a life of passion and competitiveness without apology. Society needs to support men when they step up to the plate for their families and stand up for themselves. This whole effort to blur gender roles and make everyone the same gender has backfired big time on this society.

    ReplyDelete